PERSONAL STRENGTHS AND ABILITIES
- Able to work well with other people
- Key strategic relationships with Business and Political leaders
- Have experience in a leadership role
- Work well under pressure situations and fast paced environments
- Trustworthy and able to maintain confidentiality
- Experienced and skilled negotiator
Special Advisor to the Premier of British Columbia – 2014-2017
- Provide strategic advice for the Premier and Premier’s office on government files as required.
- Provide technical support to the Chief of Staff and Deputy Chief of staff.
- Work with the Chief of Staff to facilitate, create and sustain strong relationships with Aboriginal leaders.
- Work with the Chief of Staff to strengthen existing relationships with Aboriginal leaders.
- Under the direction of the Chief of Staff, meet with Aboriginal leadership to facilitate and strengthen relationships with their constituents.
- Organize and coordinate activities, meetings, events and stakeholder engagement.
- Liaise with various Ministers and Ministry staff and provide input and advice regarding key Aboriginal Issues.
- Facilitate strong and effective communications between the Office of the Premier and Aboriginal leadership.
Musqueam Indian Band Business Enterprise Coordinator – 2010-2014
- Developed and Implemented the Musqueam Capital Corporation for the Musqueam Indian Band.
- Was the lead on Business negotiations on Economic Development initiatives for the Musqueam Indian Band.
- Established and maintained strategic relationships with private enterprises, various levels of government, and other First Nations.
A/ General Manager: Four Host Nations Aboriginal Pavilion – 2008-2009
- Designed and Implemented programming for the 2010 Four Host First Nations Aboriginal Pavilion during the 2010 Winter Olympics.
- Was the Aboriginal outreach team lead for the Pavilion.
- Created and Maintained relationships with many First Nations, Metis and Inuit groups from across Canada.
- Ensured the culture, traditions and protocols of all Aboriginal Visitors were represented at the Pavilion.
Senior Policy Analyst for the BC Assembly of First Nations – 2007-2009
- Key advisor to the Regional Chief of British Columbia as well as other leaders on the BC First Nations Leadership Council.
- Responsible for ensuring that the Regional Chief’s office was aware, and properly briefed, on issues that pertained to First Nations in British Columbia.
- Worked daily with Chiefs from across BC in order to ensure that their concerns and messages were adequately addressed and represented by the Regional Chief’s Office.
Executive Assistant to the Solicitor General of BC – 2006-2007
- Advised and briefed the Minister on key issues pertaining to his Ministry.
- Travelled with the Minister and assisted him at meetings across BC and Canada.
- Responsible to meet with key government officials on various issues including legislative and policy changes in government.
Legal Researcher for the Musqueam Indian Band – 2003-2005
- Led the researching of key historical and court documents pertaining to the history of the Musqueam Indian Band.
- Responsible for annotating and consolodating vast amounts of information into a concise reference guide for use by the legal department of the Musqueam Indian Band.
British Columbia Advisor to the National Chief – 2012-2014
- Worked directly with the National Chief of the Assembly of First Nations.
- Liaised and strengthened relationships with Chiefs and First Nations of British Columbia.
- Traveled with the National Chief to meetings with Chiefs and government officials.
- Ensured communication between the National Chief and all of the chiefs in British Columbia was constant and effective.
Elected Councillor for the Musqueam Indian Band – 2004-2014
- Was an elected official for the governmental body of the Musqueam Indian Band.
- As a member of the council, I was responsible for making informed policy and business decisions for the band.
- I also held the chair position on numerous committees, including Justice and Economic Development.
- I have also created and maintained strategic relationships with partners in the private sector, government and other First Nations.
Board Member for the Vancouver Police Board – 2010-2014
- As one of seven board members, I was responsible for providing civilian oversight to the Vancouver Police Department.
- I was also the chair of the Governance committee for the board that makes key policy recommendations for decision by the board.
Board Member for Aboriginal Tourism British Columbia – 2010-2014
- Worked with the CEO of Aboriginal Tourism BC, and the board, to grow the tourism sector as it pertained to Aboriginal groups in British Columbia.
- Met with key tourism officials to promote and negotiate on behalf of many Aboriginal businesses.
- Met regularly with Aboriginal stakeholders to ensure their businesses’ needs are being met.
Co-Chair for the Vancouver Urban Dialogue Program – 2010-Present
As one of three co-chairs, I was responsible for implementing and overseeing the Vancouver Urban Dialogue program. This successful program works to bring together First Nations, Urban Aboriginals and New Canadians together to create new relationships and understandings each others cultures and histories. Since its inception, this program has been recognized as a best practice in other jurisdictions across Canada.
Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Medal for service to the community
This award was presented to me for my work in the Aboriginal Community. I was presented this award by Member of Parliament for Vancouver South, Wai Young
Vancouver Magazine 2013 and 2015 Power 50
Recognized as one of the 50 most influential people helping to creating positive change in the city of Vancouver.